It’s Easter! For most people that means CHOCOLATE!
Unfortunately our canine companions also like the taste of chocolate which can make them very sick and even be deadly for them.
Signs of chocolate toxicity can include the following symptoms:
- Rigid muscles
- Rapid breathing
- Increased heart rate
If you know your pet has eaten chocolate in the last few hours and has not yet started to show any signs of toxicity then it is worth taking them to the clinic so we can induce them to vomit and hopefully clear their system of the chocolate before it causes problems.
Listed below are the approximate amounts of chocolate which can causes signs of toxicity in dogs.
Small dogs (up to 5kg)
- Milk chocolate: 60-100grams
- Dark chocolate: 24-40 grams
- Baking chocolate: 8-13 grams
Medium dogs (5kg – 20kg)
- Milk chocolate: 200-300 grams
- Dark chocolate: 80-120 grams
- Baking chocolate: 25-40 grams
Large dogs (20kg plus)
- Milk chocolate: 600 grams
- Dark chocolate: 240 grams
- Baking chocolate: 80 grams
Please remember that all animals react differently, for a dog with health issues it may take much less and for a dog weighing 50kg it may take much more.
Cats are even more sensitive to chocolate then dogs but are much less likely to eat it so we see chocolate toxicity in cats much less often. If you think your cat has eaten chocolate or they show the above signs please contact the clinic.
Have a safe and happy Easter Holiday everyone!